There have been some questions around dress for the picnic/play-in this coming Sunday (May 10, you can read more on the announcement post), so here is the final word on the subject:
It will be casual/picnic dress. Jeans, t-shirts, shorts (if it’s warm enough), whatever is comfortable. It’s a fun, casual day to end our year with.
You can now watch the recent senior piano recital performed by Allison Rosenhamer and Noah Stocker on YouTube. Excellent work both of you!
Mankato Area Youth Symphony Orchestra and the Northstar Strings programs are both offered in Mankato to all eligible string students (please talk with your teacher regarding your eligibility). We would love to see a group of our students take advantage of this great opportunity. Perhaps we could arrange car pooling to make this a possibility!
Rehearsals are Saturday mornings in Mankato at the Performing Arts Center on the Campus of Minnesota State University. North Star Strings meets from 10:00 – 11:15 and MAYSO from 9:30-12:00. You can check their website for more information. This is a wonderful opportunity to enhance your musical education even more. Check it out!!!
Last fall the Allegro Strings did a mini-tour to Nebraska to play for at an assisted living facility (my in-laws live there) in Norfolk.
The kids had so much fun many have asked if we could return. We are putting together another trip, but this time it is open to the entire school. Sallie Draper will be sending out another registration form via email. If you are interested and/or able to come along with us, please sign up.
Trip to Nebraska
When: July 16 – 18
- Leave Tuesday morning, stop in Vermillion, SD at the National Music Museum and Gavins Point Dam at the Aquarium just south of Yankton, SD.
- Arrive Norfolk, NE late afternoon/early evening.
- Perform at The Meadows assisted living facility and one other location Wednesday morning.
- Water park Wednesday afternoon – pizza party in the evening.
- Return Thursday late morning (possibly go to water park again in the morning).
- Arrive back in New Ulm late afternoon/early evening.
- Meals, admission to water park, museum and aquarium, and hotel (last time we got an excellent rate at the Hampton Inn because we were doing community service. We put 4 people in a room and split the cost, which ended up being about $15.00 per person per night – breakfast is included).
Thank you for considering this event.
As I sit here looking at the SNOW outside my window, I keep telling myself, spring is indeed here and the warm weather IS coming.
And along with spring comes all the planning for summer; vacations, lessons, and, hopefully, music institutes. The board will be meeting in a couple of weeks and one of the decisions we will need to make is how much money we will be able to give to families for institutes this summer. We need to know how many people are planning to attend so we can decide what we are going to be able to allocate. If you are planning on attending an institute this summer, would you please let us know by May 8th? If you are a family with more than one child enrolled in our program, also let us know how many of your children will be attending.
We are also planning our end of year Pot Luck / Play-In. The details are as follows:
- Date: May 13
- Time: 6:00 PM – 7:30 or so…
- Place: St. Paul’s Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall (201 N. State St.)
- What to Bring: Your students (and violins, pianos will be provided :0), extended family, and friends. Bring a dish to share (NUSSM will provide plates, silverware, napkins, and drink).
Come and join us for a night of good food, good people, and excellent music!
Sallie Draper will be sending out a registration emails for both institutes and the Play-In, so please let us know if you are going to attend or not so we can plan accordingly.
The last week of lessons will be the week of May 13 – 17.
If you have not signed up for summer lessons with your teacher, be sure to check with your individual teacher.
Paula and Judy